“We are always pleased with the coverage and dedication our staff gives to our subscribers,” said Denise Strub, managing editor.
“Winning an award is merely icing on the cake of what we hope we do on a daily basis.
“I am so very proud of everyone,” she said.
Awards went to:
* Andy Collier, sports editor, second place in Best Planned Series of Stories for “Tommy John surgery”
* Andy Collier, sports editor, third place in Best Sports News Story for “Historic coach Sank Powe dies”
* Rory Doyle, staff writer and current Delta State University photographer, second place in Best General News Photograph for “Jazz legend Herbie”
* Donnel Maxie, sports writer, third place in Best Sports Feature Photo for “Tight defense”
* Rory Doyle, staff writer and current Delta State University photographer, second place in Best Pictorial Series in One Issue for “Bolivar County firefighters stay busy”
* Caroline Laster and Donell Maxie, composing and sports writer, second place in Best Graphic for “Football preview 2013”
* Denise Strub, managing editor, and staff, first place Best Front Page
The judges of the Best Front Page category said, “The firefighter story and photos would definitely pick up rack sales and draw folks in. The combination of community news and photos offers a lot. Simple, clean design.”
Established in 1866, MPA is the trade association for 120 member publications.
Mississippi Press Services, founded in 1978, is a business subsidiary to MPA that provides advertising representation for member papers.