Harris and the board met Friday and decided to withdraw its previous suspension of Johnson, who had been expelled with pay for about a week.
Harris said the issue came to light after the owner of Sky Box nightclub wrote a letter accusing Johnson of requesting money to turn a blind eye to underage youth entering the club.
Harris said he preferred to keep the owner's name confidential at this time, and Johnson was unavailable for comment before press time.
The mayor said he was unsure why the owner would rat out Johnson, considering he's also partaking in the alleged illegal activity.
"Something is not right — apparently there's some tension between the two," said Harris. "He said in the letter he's tired of paying and that it's been going on for a while.
"We have an ordinance in Shelby that you must be 21 to get into a club," added Harris. "If these allegations are true, we'll handle them appropriately. I don't understand why the chief never did anything to enforce that ordinance."
The board requested the ongoing investigation be led by an outside party to eliminate any local bias.
Harris said he talked to the chief briefly and hopes to discuss the allegations in greater detail later this week.
"We're trying to move forward and keep everything together," he said. "We're going to keep improving the city of Shelby and we've got lots of work to do.
"We work for the people and they need to have faith in the city and the government. We always try to do the right thing for the people."
The Bolivar Commercial will have more information on this situation as it develops.