Two trials end
by Chance Wright
Dec 16, 2012 | 1273 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Bolivar County jurors handed down a pair of verdicts last week as the fall session of the Bolivar County Second Judicial District Court term came to an end.

Judge Charles Webster heard the verdicts.

Brothers Leroy Henry, 22, of 706 South St. in Cleveland, and Antonio Henry, 19, of the same address, celebrated with family as the jury read their not-guilty verdict.

The pair was on trial to answer to the charges of armed robbery and possession of a deadly weapon by a convicted felon stemming from an incident that occurred on June 18, 2012.

According to the official police report, a man, who was later identified as Leroy Henry, jumped into a vehicle driven by Cornelius Robinson at around 4 a.m. as he approached the intersection of Cross Street and Chrisman Avenue in Cleveland.

Robinson alleged that Henry produced a gun and put it to his head.

The assailant ordered Robinson to drive to a location outside of the city limits where he beat his captive, rendering him unconscious and stole his car.

Law enforcement later received a call of a car fire near the intersection of White Street and Old Ruleville Road.

Upon investigation, authorities identified the vehicle as the one reported stolen by Robinson.

Cleveland Detective George Serio said that a tip from a citizen of Cleveland led to the Henry's capture.

"Somebody called into the station and said that they had seen Henry in the Church Street area near the park," said Serio. "The caller also gave a description of what the suspect was wearing."

Officers responded to the location and immediately identified Henry.

"When officers made the ID, a foot pursuit ensued," Serio continued. "The suspect was found shortly after hiding on the front porch of a residence in the neighborhood."

Antonio Henry had already been picked up and charged with armed robbery and possession of a deadly weapon by a convicted felon stemming from the incident.

In a separate case, a jury found Sammie Smith, age and address unknown, guilty of burglary of a dwelling stemming from an incident that occurred in November 2011, at 110 Canal St. in Shaw.

Webster sentenced Smith to serve 10 years in custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections and five years of post release supervision for his crimes.